Saturday, February 13, 2016

Semester 2 Week 5

I have to say as I look back at this week there are random things that stood out to me.  I would like to take 3 or 4 of these things and talk about them.
1. God using Nature to humble his people
In Helaman ch.11, Nephi prays that a famine will curse the land and help bring the people to repentance.  The famine replaced the wars they were having with the Lamanites. When they had humbled themselves they were blessed with rain and crops.
2. Prophets being directed to try again
In chapter 13, Samuel tries to preach but is rejected and starts to leave.  Then he is commanded to return and try again.  He is not the only prophet to be instructed in this way.  Jonah was commanded to go back to Ninevah after he was rejected there.  Those people repented.  Abinadi was commanded to return the people of King Noah and only Alma was repentant.  But Alma's change of heart led many others back to the Lord. Alma the Younger was commanded to return Ammonihah after being rejected there.  When he went back he met Amulek who became a great missionary, and they did convert many back to the gospel.
3. The righteous are a shield
Samuel talks to the people about how wicked they have become in chapter 13. The key thing that stood out to me in this chapter was verse 12.  It says, "wo unto this great city of Zarahemla; for behold, it is because of those who are righteous that it is saved;.." It makes me wonder if the same is true for today.  I hear things on the news and social media and I realize how wicked our world has become.  Things that were considered immoral 20 years ago, let alone socially acceptable, are now everywhere.  In TV shows, movies and books you see how society has degraded. It makes me sad to think this is the world my children are growing up in and how important it is I teach them correctly; I teach them the gospel. But I also see more christian based movies being widely accepted.  There is much wickedness but there is also much good in the world, and I think that is what is keeping it from being destroyed.  We are the lights burning in the darkness of society.  We need to be strong and be a good example to those around us.  Even for no one else's benefit but our own.  We should be anxiously engaged in the work of the Lord in trying to bring others to the gospel.  That is our job, to be a light and example to others.  As we do this we will be blessed.  The Lord knows our hearts.  He knows we want to do the right thing.
I am so grateful for the gospel in my life.  I'm grateful for the opportunity to participate in the Pathway program.  I know that I'm learning and growing in ways I wouldn't if not for this program.

No comments: